If you are a chain smoker, then you must realize that almost every organ of your body is in danger. Smoking causes nearly one in every five deaths in the country every year. Here are some ill effects of smoking on your health, and we are hoping that you will resort to a healthier lifestyle.
- Our immune system gets greatly affected by smoking. It pretty much stops every system from working properly. Moreover, it causes several autoimmune diseases which include Crohn’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Smoking has recently been linked to type 2 diabetes. This means smokers are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than non-smokers.
- Among the very many factors which harm your bones, smoking is a prominent one. Smoking increases your risk for osteoporosis, in which bones become weak and get fractured. Bone loss has been found significantly in older men and women who smoke. Quitting smoking reduces the risk of bone problems. However, it may take several years for a regular smoker to be out of danger.
- The chemicals present in tobacco damage the blood vessels and the function of your heart. It may increase the risks of atherosclerosis, aneurysms, cardiovascular diseases, coronary heart diseases, peripheral arterial diseases, and stroke. Breathing tobacco can even change your blood chemistry.
- Your lungs are damaged by every cigarette you smoke. Smoking causes a whole lot of diseases like a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis etc. People, who are already patients of asthma, can suffer severe attacks if around cigarette smoke.
- Smoking can even affect your eyes along with the rest of your body. It can cause macular degeneration, cataract, and optic nerve damage. All of these can lead to acute blindness.
- There are more than 7000 chemicals in tobacco smoke. Among which 70 are known to cause cancer. Smoking cigarettes are the most prominent risk factor for lung cancer. However, it can cause cancer not only in lungs but also trachea, bronchus, esophagus, oral cavity, lip, nasal cavity, kidney, colon, liver – more or less in every part of your body.