Depression is the term given to the medical condition that every second individual goes through at any given point of time resulting out of a hitch in life’s events disrupting the self-confidence, motivation, determination, self-esteem, eventually losing interest in the activities that earlier were enjoyed. This is a disorder that is seen to deteriorate a person’s moral level. However, it has been a proven fact that people facing this depressive illness show varied symptoms like:
- Becoming indecisive and restless, drop in concentration levels and ability to remember.
- Feeling over exerted quickly.
- Instigating suicidal thoughts.
- Overeating or complete loss of appetite.
Depression can be cured using a single or a combination of therapies depending on the person’s severity and accessibility.
Psychotherapy is also known as talking therapy assists the depressed to identify and avoids the negative thoughts from influencing the person’s behavior. Such kind of help is also available as e-therapies, where the person can work with a single therapist or even take up help from groups.
- CBT – Cognitive Behavior Therapy involves working with a therapist helping identify the problem that is the root cause of the mental chaos.
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) works on identifying factors that affect a person’s relationship increasing the risk of depression. Timely highlighting such issues helps a person to work on their relationship and get along with others.
- Behavior Therapy emphasizes revolving the person around activities that divert the mind from solitude, avoidance, loneliness reversing the depressive mood.
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is considered to prevent depression from setting in again as it helps to identify feelings of sadness and negative thoughts at an early stage before matters get complicated.
When depression ranges from moderate to severe or psychological treatments don’t give the required results people usually seek medical treatment that uses antidepressants. However, these are prescribed cautiously by the doctor along with psychological treatments. This medical treatment also helps in treating some anxiety problems.
Since no two people are the same hence the time frame for recovery from this mental illness could vary considerably. Hence being patient and tolerant oneself as well as the concerned people are important strategies to pass this waiting game.